FinTech for Breakfast (33)
To be held on Wednesday, September 12, 2018
With support from Dentons
Jemima Kelly (FT Alphaville)
Diana Biggs (HSBC)
Louise Beaumont (techUK)
So, what’s been going on in FinTech while you have all been sunning yourselves on the beach in Antigua or Zanzibar?
Our regular FinTech group will be back together at the start of September to cover most (or at least a generous slice) of what’s been happening over the summer. Jemima Kelly of FT Alphaville will be back in the driving seat to help us sort through the biggest stories.
Joining Jemima will be Diana Biggs, head of digital innovation for UK & Europe at HSBC, and Louise Beaumont, fintech founder, angel investor, and current co-chair of tech UK’s Open Banking and Payments Working Group.
As always, the final agenda will be up to minute, but so far this summer:
- Monzo is reportedly well advanced in a funding round that should see it secure ‘unicorn’ status;
- Goldman Sachs’s Marcus (its consumer bank, offering savings and loans to retail clients) has arrived in the UK;
- Bitcoin sank close to $6,000 before rallying after $500m of new “tethers” were issued;
- the FCA announced the launch of its “Global Financial Innovation Network” (a.k.a. “global sandbox”); and
- Aberdeen Standard launched its “Artificial Intelligence Global Equity Fund”.
If you (or a friend/colleague) would like to join us, please let us know by calling 0207 621 1056 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. And please do send any suggestions for items we should cover to email@example.com. Thanks to Dentons’s hospitality, there will be lots of tea, coffee and buns.