Sustainable Finance for Breakfast (10): A round-table meeting on developments in the sustainable finance space
To be held on Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 8:30-10:00am.
- Ben Caldecott (Oxford Sustainable Finance Programme)
- Karthik Iyer (Climate Bonds)
- Katie Stafford (Schroders )
With World Environment Day on June 5th, the clamour of competing reports and conferences on sustainable finance is louder than ever. Fortunately, ready to help us make sense of the din, we have Ben Caldecott, founding director of the Oxford Sustainable Finance Programme and founder and co-chair of the Global Research Alliance for Sustainable Finance and Investment.
The format for our monthly round-up is the same: our guest panellist(s) will share their latest insights, Ben will run through the latest developments – and then everyone else will (I hope) wade in.
What will make the final agenda we can’t say, but on our radar so far:
- The industry has been responding to the EC’s Sustainable Finance legislative proposals, particularly the thorny topics of taxonomy and prescriptiveness;
- HMG’s investment criteria are under scrutiny following the Swansea Bay lagoon decision;
- Germany has convened a commission drawn from the economy, finance, interior and labour ministries to plan its withdrawal from coal;
- EU Vice-President Timmermans visited Denmark to discuss migration to the circular economy with CEOs; and
- Trump skipped the environment and climate sessions at the G7 meetings.
(I would add that, at the time of writing, the UK has just experienced nine days during which our vaunted investment in wind power has effectively contributed nothing to the grid – putting a little lead in the pencils of perennial energy sceptics.)
Joining Ben this month we’re delighted to welcome Karthik Iyer, commercial director at the Climate Bonds Initiative, responsible for their investor engagement and green bond certification services and coverage of India, China and Asia Pacific, and Katie Stafford, a client portfolio manager at Schroders and former product manager for the GAIA hedge fund platform.
If you would like to join us, please let Alex know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning the Centre (0207 621 1056). As ever, coffee/tea, buns and so forth will be provided.